The NAEHCY Executive Committee is seeking applications for the position of At-large Director to serve on the NAEHCY Board of Directors. The Executive Committee will review the applications and make appointments accordingly. The Executive Committee is looking for individuals with a demonstrated interest and commitment to working on behalf of the nation’s 1.5 million children and youth experiencing homelessness and improving their educational outcomes.
At-large directors are appointed in even-numbered years and serve two-year terms. At-large directors are limited to three consecutive terms as an At-large director. In applying, please consider the duties of the Directors as set forth in the NAEHCY Bylaws below. In addition, please address the questions that follow in your letter of interest. Send the letter of interest with a biography or resume by noon December 23rd to NAEHCY Executive Director Tisha Tallman at email@example.com.
Duties of the Board
The affairs of the Corporation shall be governed by a Board of Directors
(“Board” or “the Board”). The Board shall have the following duties:
(a) Duty of Care. Directors shall discharge their duties in good faith, with due
care, and in the best interests of the Corporation.
(b) Meeting Attendance. Directors shall prepare for and regularly attend
(c) Reliance on Information of Others. Unless a director has knowledge that
makes such reliance unwarranted, a director may rely on information, opinions,
reports or statements, if prepared or presented by (i) an officer or employee
whom the director reasonably believes is reliable and competent in the matter(s)
presented; (ii) lawyers, accountants or other persons as to matters the director
reasonably believes are within the person’s professional or expert competence; or
(iii) a committee of the Board of which the director is not a member, as to
matters within its jurisdiction, if the director reasonably believes the committee
In addition, all officers of the Corporation shall review as needed, and comply with, the duties articulated in the NAEHCY Board Meetings and Time Commitment Policy and Procedures; NAEHCY Conflict of Interest Policy; NAEHCY Confidentiality policy; NAEHCY Financial Policies and Procedures; NAEHCY Diversity Policy; NAEHCY Conflicts of Interest Policy; NAEHCY Corporate Responsibility Statements and other requirements that may, from time to time, be augmented by the Board of Directors.
Standard of Conduct.
Each director and officer shall discharge his or her duties as a director or officer in good faith, in a manner which the director or officer reasonably believes to be in the best interests of the Corporation, consistent with the Corporation’s policies and procedures, and with the care an ordinarily prudent person in a like position would exercise under similar circumstances.
Questions to address in your letter of interest:
NAEHCY is a board of volunteer members. Members are responsible for the costs associated with participation in NAEHCY business and meetings. Hardship scholarships may be offered on a case-by-case basis to assist with attendance at the meetings. Selection is based on a number of factors, including, but not limited to, active member status, the past involvement of the applicant in NAEHCY activities, the match of applicant skills and expertise to the needs of the board, and a broad geographic representation of Board Members. NAEHCY is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity and strongly encourages applications from people of color, religious, ethnic and sexual minorities, people with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups.
1. Are you an active member of NAEHCY? Provide the number of years of involvement.
2. Why are you interested in serving on the NAEHCY Board of Directors? Please include any involvement to date with NAEHCY, including service on committees and/or serving as a sponsor, presenter or vendor at NAEHCY conferences or webinars.
3. What specific aspects of NAEHCY’s mission and accomplishments motivate you to serve on the Board of Directors?
4. What skills, gifts, talents, and expertise are you able to contribute to the work of NAEHCY? (Competencies NAEHCY seeks in board members include professional expertise, talents, skills, and personal experiences that enhance NAEHCY’s sustainability and capacity to succeed in its work, such as: experience with education systems at state and local levels (early childhood through higher education); experience with service provision to children, youth and families experiencing homelessness; youth development expertise; business expertise; philanthropic and/or development experience; marketing/PR/communications skills; nonprofit management; social science research and evaluation; technology, website and social media skills; legal expertise; community organizing experience (inter-agency and grassroots); experience lobbying or organizing to support legislation; geographic representation; and housing status)
5. Why is diversity critical for a national homeless education organization and how might you contribute to the diversity of the Board of Directors?
6. In what other professional or social organization(s) are you actively engaged (or have been in the past)? What are (or were) your specific contributions to that organization(s)?
Thank you for your interest in serving on the NAEHCY Board of Directors!